Don’t wait for inspiration
Do you think inspiration’s just for artists? Think again. And then, go get inspired!
Inspiration, as defined by the Oxford Dictionary, is: “The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.” If inspiration is another way of defining innovation, then every business owner — especially small business owners — need to be inspired.
So even if you can’t draw more than a stick figure or hum a song in the right key, it doesn’t mean you don’t need to be inspired every day.
Here’s an example of inspired innovation. The basic premise that defines what we know today as the tablet — that ubiquitous personal device we never knew we couldn’t live without — was inspired by clay tablets that existed more than 3,000 years ago. Talk about innovation!
How can you feel inspired to innovate every day? Obviously no human being can feel an emotion exactly like the person standing next to them, because different people are inspired by different things. You just need to figure out what inspires you.
How? Ask yourself some easy questions in order to figure it out:
- What was the last thing that inspired you?
- What were you doing the last time something inspired you?
- Where were you?
- How did it affect you?
- Did you act upon the inspiration in any way?
Think about some common factors among your answers and look for them next time you need an inspired idea or answer. Here are a few situations that trigger inspiration for some people:
- Music: from classical to punk rock, whatever gets you in the groove
- Books: masterful fiction or moving biographies? What makes you think outside your own head? What scenarios do you find gripping?
- The great outdoors: sometimes a walk, whether along a busy city street or the quiet woods, is the best way to bring about inspiration.
- Doodle much? Get out your colored pencils and let your imagination run wild. You never know what’s lurking in the creative part of your brain until you let it out.
- Give yourself a hard deadline: nothing like a kick in the pants to help you focus in on the task at hand.
Remember, you don’t need to wait to be struck by inspiration; you can go find a way to inspire yourself. if your business is an alphabet, inspiration is the “A” and success is the “Z” you’re trying to achieve!
Stay tuned to this space for more marketing ideas.